Address Change (active associate at work)



This article explains how to change your address, you must first access Employee Self Service.  You can also change phone numbers, email information, and emergency contact information.

To access Employee Self Service (ESS): 
AT WORK: Go to the Exchange intranet ( and click on Employee Self Service (ESS).  Log in using your TSS ID (Y-Number) and password. 

AWAY FROM WORK: See this article: Address Change (Active Associate Away from Work)


After logging into ESS, select Personal under the Personal & Work Section. 




  • The current address and contact information will be visible.  Click the link right above your name to update this data. 



  • Update a new address (or any other personal information) in the space provided. Once the desired change has been entered, click ‘Update Your Change’ to save the new information and return to the main page.  

Note: The system requires that an emergency contact be filled in for any changes made to be saved.