If you have military time, your DD-214 will be reviewed for employment eligibility. If you determine there is an error regarding your character of discharge, this article identifies ways you can address that issue..

Disputing Your Character of Discharge 

A less than honorable discharge may result in being barred from benefits or denied for employment. The Departments of the Army, Air Force, and Navy (which includes the Marine Corps), and the Coast Guard each have their own discharge review boards (DRB). The DRBs have the authority to modify or correct any discharge or dismissal from the service, unless it was the result of a general court martial. DRBs, however, have no jurisdiction over medical discharges. If you believe that your character of discharge (e.g., dishonorable, other than honorable, general) was made in error, you may request a discharge review using DD Form 293 (“Application for Review of Discharge or Separation from the Armed Forces of the United States/Application for the Review of Discharge or Dismissal from the Armed Forces of the United States”). 

Apply for a Discharge Upgrade 

All branches of the military consider you to have a strong case for a discharge upgrade if you can show your discharge was connected to mental health conditions, including posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), traumatic brain injury (TBI), sexual assault or harassment during military service, sexual orientation (including under the Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell policy).