What to Expect When Adding Dependents – Dependent Verification 


All dependents must be verified before they can be added to the Exchange systems.  This ensures information is accurate in our systems. Dependent information can be used for a variety of reasons, the most common being benefits and eligibility for privilege or Military Star cards.


When you add a dependent, you must provide documentation to verify dependent eligibility.   

  • If you have requested health care coverage 

  • The letter will come include very specific instructions detailing how to verify eligibility by sending documents to our partner, Towers Watson.  

  • If you have elected health care coverage, coverage will be terminated if you do not obtain verification by the date indicated in the letter. 

  • Dependent will be removed from the Exchange personnel systems. 

  • If you have not requested health care coverage 

  • The information will be sent to you by the Human Resources Support Center (HRSC). The same documentation to verify eligibility is required. 

  • No dependent will be added to the Exchange personnel systems until verification is complete.   


With Health Coverage 

The letter explains what documents are required based upon the relationship of the dependent to you and provides three ways you can provide the documents: 

  • Log on to eBenefits through Employee Self Service and upload the documents 

  • Mail the documents, including the Dependent Verification Return Cover Sheet 

  • Fax the documents, including the Dependent Verification Return Cover Sheet 


Without Health Coverage 

You will receive a letter/email from an agent in the HRSC.  The letter will outline what documents are required to verify the specific dependent(s). 

  • Mail them to: HQ Exchange HRSC, PO Box 660202, Dallas TX 75266-0202 (please include copy of letter/email) 

  • Fax them to: 214-465-2134 (please include copy of letter/email) 


Definition of Dependent Eligibility 





Legal Spouse 

 Legally married spouse (as defined by federal law) 



 As defined by the state where Common-Law status is established 

Eligible Child 

An eligible child is a child who is your: 

  • Natural child 

  • Legally adopted child, including a child placed in your home for the purpose of adoption  Stepchild 

  • Child for whom you have legal guardianship 

  • Child for whom you are required to provide coverage under a Qualified Medical Child Support Order (QMCSO), as long as the child meets the definition of an eligible dependent 



Acceptable Documentation 




Legal Spouse 

Provide a copy of: 

  • Government issued Marriage Certificate 

  • Social Security Card or Individual Tax Identification Letter from the IRS         

And one of the following: 

  • Federal Tax return within last 2 years 

  • Financial document dated within the last 60 days showing current relationship status such as a recurring monthly household bill or statement of account. The document must list your spouse’s name, the date and your mailing address. Note: Healthcare bills will not be accepted as proof of eligibility as healthcare coverage is being validated. 

Common-Law Spouse  

Provide these: 

  • Social Security Card or Individual Tax Identification Letter from the IRS 

  • Affidavit of Common Law Marriage (fill-in-the-blank form available on eBenefits) 

  • Proof of joint ownership issued within last 6 months (typically accepted are mortgage, rental/lease, utility, bank and homeowners insurance statements; all must have both names or two separate documents with each name and matching addresses) 

Eligible Child 

Provide a copy of  

  • Social Security Card or Individual Tax Identification Letter from the IRS 

And the applicable document(s) for your child: 

  • Natural Child - Government Issued Birth Certificate  

  • Adopted Child - Government Issued Birth Certificate if available OR  

  • Adoption Placement and Petition for Adoption OR Adoption Certificate  

  • Stepchild - Government Issued Birth Certificate, Government Issued Marriage Certificate of Employee and Parent OR Government Issued Birth Certificate and Affidavit of Common Law Marriage. 

  • Child for whom you have legal guardianship - Government Issued Birth Certificate and Court Ordered Document of Legal Custody or a copy of your most recent federal tax return confirming the status of the child as a dependent. 

  • Qualified Medical Child Support Order (QMCSO) - Qualified Medical  

  • Child Support Order that is still in effect.  Provide the section that includes child name(s), parent names, child date of birth, stating that health coverage must be provided. 


Frequently Asked Questions 


Why is the Exchange verifying dependent eligibility? 

We are required to follow the terms of our plans, including covering only eligible dependents. Enrolling ineligible individuals is a serious issue that affects our compliance with the regulations. Moreover, when ineligible individuals incur claims, our total cost of health care benefits increases. This review will help to monitor the plan eligibility requirements and ensure only eligible dependents are enrolled in the benefit plans.  


What happens if I don’t provide documents by the deadline?  

If you fail to complete the verification process, your unverified dependents will not be covered.  Please also note that termination of an individual who was not eligible for benefits does not qualify them to continue coverage under our Temporary Continuation of Coverage Plan (COBRA-like Plan). 

If you provide documents by the deadline, but they are incorrect or incomplete for one or more of your dependents, you will be sent an Insufficient Documentation Letter explaining the reason for incomplete documentation and requesting the appropriate documents. 


How do I get a copy of my dependent’s birth certificate, marriage certificate or other records?  

Copies of birth certificates and other personal vital records can only be obtained from the state in which they originally were filed. Some resources for obtaining documents: 

  • National Center for Health Statistics through the Centers for Disease Control — Information for all states can be found at http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/w2w.htm. 

  • VitalChek — Online provider of vital records at www.vitalchek.com. 

  • U.S. Department of State — A Consular Report of Birth can be obtained by writing to the U.S. Department of State for individuals born abroad to U.S. citizen parents. Visit http://www.state.gov/ for more information. 

  • Internal Revenue Service — A free transcript of a federal tax return can be obtained by contacting the local IRS office.  This information is available at www.irs.gov. 

Obtaining records can sometimes take longer than expected. Be sure to request your records in a timely manner (e.g., foreign birth record). 


My child’s birth certificate states that copies should not be made. Should I submit an original?  

No. Photocopies of birth certificates are considered an acceptable form of documentation of dependent eligibility. Be sure to only submit copies, not originals, of all requested documents.  


Will the Exchange help me pay the costs of obtaining documents that I may not have on hand?  

No. You must pay any costs associated with obtaining or copying acceptable documents. 


I have some documents ready, but not all of them. Should I submit them individually? 

We encourage you to send in all of your documentation at the same time. However, if the deadline is approaching, you may submit whatever documentation you have collected. 


What happens if I lose my letter and form? 

A follow-up letter will be sent to participants who do not respond to the initial request.  


If I submit my verification documents via mail or fax, how will I know if my completed Certification of Dependent Eligibility Form and documents were received?  

A confirmation statement will be mailed to your home within 7 to 10 business days of processing all of your dependents. 


Is this process confidential?  

Yes. To protect your benefit information, Towers Watson has been engaged to administer our employee benefit plans. Towers Watson is a reputable global professional services company that has performed these types of verification services on behalf of many large employers throughout the U.S. All documentation submitted to Towers Watson will remain confidential. 


What type of files can I upload to the online system? 

You can upload .pdf, .jpg, .tif and other electronic photo files. You can even upload photos of documents taken from a camera or smartphone, provided they are legible.  


I am faxing a document that may not come through clear enough to read. Should I do anything different when faxing documents?  

Yes. A normal loss of quality occurs when faxing, sometimes making received faxes difficult to read. This can be especially true when trying to fax a photo ID or other documents that are not black and white or contain small print. To make the document easier to read try the following:  

  • Make a black and white copy of the document (if the original is in color) 

  • Enlarge the document as much as possible while ensuring it is still an 8.5 x 11 copy.  

  • Change the settings on the fax machine that you are using to the highest resolution available. On most fax machines you can go to Settings  Resolution  Choose “Fine” or “Highest Quality”. See Owner’s Manual for additional instructions.  


If the quality of the copy is still in question, you may mail the copy to:  

Exchange Benefit Service Center 


PO Box 981902 

El Paso, TX 79998 


What if my divorce decree stipulates that I maintain health insurance for my former spouse?  

Regardless of the decree, a former spouse is not an eligible dependent. 


My dependent documentation was issued in a foreign country and is not in English. Do I need to provide a copy of the document translated into English for it to be acceptable? 

Yes. Any document provided as proof of eligibility that is in a foreign language (such as marriage certificate or birth certificate) must be accompanied with a notarized translation in English. 


What is an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN)?  

This is a tax processing number only available for certain nonresident and resident aliens, their spouses and dependents who cannot get a Social Security Number (SSN).  To obtain an ITIN, you must complete IRS Form W-7.  This form and supporting documentation must be mailed to the address shown on the form, presented to an IRS walk-in office or processed through an Acceptance Agent such as a college, financial institution, or accounting firms. More information is available at www.IRS.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers.