The regulations regarding overseas pay allowances are issued by the Department of State in the Department of State Standardized Regulations (DSSR). Information can be found at Overseas allowances may include:

  • Living Quarters Allowance (LQA)
  • Post Allowance (COLA)
  • Foreign Post Differential (FPD)
  • Danger Pay
  • Separate Maintenance Allowance (SMA)
  • Temporary Quarters Subsistence Allowance (TQSA)

If you have specific questions regarding allowances, contact the local Human Resources representative. 

The HR Support Center may also be able to assist. Submit an online request for assistance, by email at, or by phone, 214-312-6190 to speak with an agent in the processing unit.